After a long break, I thought I wanna write about Android. This time it's Ice Cream Sandwich on a Galaxy Tab P1000. As always, for smartphone hacks, everyone should first go to XDA-Developers.com and have a look if one of your gadgets has sub-forums. There's a specific thread for Galaxy Tab 7 First generation and ICS love is there.
This blog post is a confirmation that ICS works beautifully and incredibly fast and snappy on a Galaxy Tab P1000. It is as if you are having a multi-core Android device. Have look at
[ROM][ICS] AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) for P1000/L/N here. Follow the installation routines and you're good to go.
Here are the steps I took to get ICS working:
- I reflashed the Tab with a Gingerbread ROM and ClockworkMod Recovery using ODIN
- Downloaded Milestone #4 ROM for P1000 which is listed on the thread
- Downloaded Gapps from the link on the thread
- Downloaded a ClockworkMod flashable kernel for P1000 from the link on the thread
- Went into ClockworkMod Recovery (Power + Volume Down)
- Mounted USB Storage and copied ROM, Gapps and Kernel packages
- Unmounted USB Storage and flashed ROM, Kernel and Gapps last
- Wiped Cache, Data and Dalvik Cache
- Rebooted the system
- I got an incredibly smooth ICS working on the Galaxy Tab
- The ROM's performance was the best of any ROM I tried but the kernel kept nullifying the RIL stack, I downloaded HumberOS P1000 Kernel here and the problem disappeared
- A HAPPY GUY
Performance throughout the whole experience immediately alleviated by the ROM, not only the slick UI/UX had a welcomed boost but the Tab's performance itself is just amazing. I was on a rooted Stock Gingebread version previously and this update made my day!
Graphics & 3D performance are amazing, everything is GPU Accelerated so it is a very smooth experience indeed. Gmail for ICS is also very relaxing!